Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Frequent freezes while working with PL/SQL Developer
#64625 05/24/23 03:20 PM
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
koja Offline OP
OP Offline
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
Have seen no reactions anymore in the previous freeze thread so decided to create a new thread.

Is there any news about stability / performance fix we may expect? Especially the freezes are really a pain to deal with everyday. Also the "initializing..." when changing tab connection and "executing..." that doesn't go away unless I close the tab. In my experience after that PLS is in an error state, so close and restart required.

Not sure if this is a Windows 11 update incompatibility or an error introduced in a later version of PSD. In both cases it would be nice if this were sorted out. The freezes are quite often and very annoying and have become more frequent in time. I have already scanned all of the forum for tips to improve performance and stability and believe I have applied all I can.

Of the about 7 hours a day I spend using PL/SQL Developer, I may end up at least 20 times, in total 20 minutes waiting because of a freeze, sometimes requiring restart of PLD, which is a waste of time in itself, but also a disturbance in my workflow. Please fix.

Certainty of death, small chance of succes,
What are we waiting for... (Gimly)
Re: Frequent freezes while working with PL/SQL Developer
koja #64626 05/25/23 08:28 AM
We're looking into this.

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations
koja #64628 05/25/23 01:16 PM
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
koja Offline OP
OP Offline
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
Thanks Marco! If I can supply anything to help, let me know.

koja #64634 05/29/23 06:44 AM
Croatia
D
D
Croatia
I noticed the same thing. I was just searching the forum for a solution and came across this thread.
I have been using PL/SQL for over two decades.
We recently renewed our license with a new version, but after a few hours of use I was quite disappointed with the new version.
Freezes are very common in the PL/SQL editor. Sometimes it's about delays that are measured in milliseconds, and sometimes it's about few seconds. When using Copy/Paste, it is more than obvious.
I will use older version and wait to see if there will be some fix in new releases.

Version:
15.0.3.2059 (64 bit) on Windows 10

koja #64671 06/20/23 12:56 PM
Munich, Germany
Munich, Germany
Hello encountered twice today already in version 15.0.3.2059 a screen with:
"PL/SQL Developer 64 bit has tstopped working
A problem cause4d the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program."
With a button: "Close the program" as the only option.
How can this be fixed?
In general version 14 was more stable and better performing as well. If those issues are not fixed son, I feel forced to switch back to the old version again as well.

Regards,
Berny
koja #64674 06/22/23 06:59 AM
M
M
"When using Copy/Paste, it is more than obvious." ...YEP!

koja #64710 07/14/23 08:31 AM
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
koja Offline OP
OP Offline
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
Have installed the latest 15.0.4 version for about a week now and performance / stability seems to have improved a little. Searched the forum again for tips and found a few:
1) disabled the clipboard history. (preferences - editor - clipboard)
2) Setting "None" for Light and Dark Style in configuration at:
user interface - appearance - Color Theme mode of version 15!
I like dark mode and use it for most of my tools
, but performance and stability are far more important to me.

I recently started thinking that maybe energy saving settings of the OS may cause the / some of the performance and stability issues. Anybody found any proof of this? Suggestions what settings to change?

What about the version of the Oracle client installed. Are there differences in stability between versions?

And I found a suggestion in this forum to start all over with the preferences by making note of your changes and then dropping the preference files and start all over...
Makes sense, because for a couple of years now I save my preference files and every time I get a new laptop I just copy those preference files over, changing some paths with find and replace when necessary.

koja #64711 07/14/23 08:56 AM
V
V
I think, you cannot do anything to improve to UI performance.
I use PL/SQL Developrt for a long time (since versio 6, or 7 maybe????) and the UI performance had a tiny drop in every version change. Not improvement, but a drop. The newer, more complex UI, menus, Ribbons, colored ribbons, themes , and so on.
And I think, it is because the software is written in Delphi, and the Delphi theme handling is not the best (maybe one of the worst frown )

koja #64717 07/17/23 04:22 PM
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
koja Offline OP
OP Offline
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
I wonder if updates to threads are still being read by Allround Automation Support / Marco? Never getting a reaction to responses in threads anymore... I know it's summer holiday now, but have this idea for a while already. please prove me wrong, doesn't make sense to start a new thread every time...

vlevi #64719 07/17/23 04:51 PM
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
koja Offline OP
OP Offline
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
@VLevi, computers have become very much faster since then. I suppose that should compensate? And hey if those features compromise security, stability or performance I'd probably prefer a version without... And I'm not saying those things aren't important, because they are, but above 3 are way more important to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard