Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Test Manager and continuous integration
Bernhard S #35536 09/18/09 07:59 AM
UK
C
C
UK
More feature requests for test manager that I would find useful - not sure if this is the best place to add this request -

Can a test manager script have a description field?

Can we provide connection details (like a project file) for the test manager to use to run the tests (we use multiple schemas and its not obvious which schema each set of scripts have to be run as) - might be good for unattended running?

Could we have a way to run multiple test manager scripts - maybe a list on the command line? Or could a test manager script run other test manager scripts?

Hopefully these are features that are not too different from other features in PLSD.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris-R-O #35546 09/18/09 11:22 AM
[quote]Can a test manager script have a description field?[/quote]
I have added this to the list of enhancement requests.

[quote]Can we provide connection details (like a project file) for the test manager to use to run the tests (we use multiple schemas and its not obvious which schema each set of scripts have to be run as) - might be good for unattended running?[/quote]
In version 8.0 you can run a test set from the command window. The command file can make a connection, or you can supply a userid=<string> parameter on the PL/SQL Developer command-line.

[quote]Could we have a way to run multiple test manager scripts - maybe a list on the command line?[/quote]
This is possible in version 8.0 from the command window.

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations
Marco Kalter #44831 10/24/12 12:43 PM
Bod
Helene Offline OP
OP Offline
Bod
Running test manager scripts using the command window is not a satisfactory solution for unattended testruns on a build server, since it opens a pl/Sql developer instance. We made our own utility for running tests, and have built an extensive test library using test manager.

A separate testGui with the ability to enable or disable tests or entire test sets, like most xUnit frameworks supply would also be a very nice and most welcome addition. This should also allow for standalone, noGui running on a build server.

Our testsets are often built using a single (or just a few) tst-file, which is repeated in many cases in the test set, with different input and different required output. This practice allows for easy creation of a number of variations of required input and expected output, with a minimum of coding (and test code maintenance).

In order to quickly create new test cases we would very much like the ability to MARK a test case, and COPY it into a new test case. I actually often resort to copy /paste in the test set-file using Notepad, due to the lack of a copy function in Test Manager.

We also have a convention that the variables for required input should start with "IN_" and those for required output start with "OUT_". It would be helpful if input value or output value could be set automatically when including the test into a test set.

with regards
Helene

Helene #44832 10/24/12 12:51 PM
Bod
Helene Offline OP
OP Offline
Bod
Oh - and one more request: please add a yes/no dialog, when the delete button is used. More than once I have accidently deleted a test case, when I wanted to push the insert button - they are quite close.

On the other hand, I never use the "create new test window" when I use the new button, and I always get the variables from the test file when I include a new file. So there are some dialogs I would like to skip :-)

Last edited by Helene; 10/24/12 12:54 PM.
Helene #44843 10/26/12 08:11 PM
Portland, OR, USA
M
M
Portland, OR, USA
Hi Helene,

You wrote:
"In order to quickly create new test cases we would very much like the ability to MARK a test case, and COPY it into a new test case. I actually often resort to copy /paste in the test set-file using Notepad, due to the lack of a copy function in Test Manager."

In the upper right corner of the test manager, there is a "new" icon. If you press CTL when you click it, it will copy the test that is highlighted. I do that all the time and then make minor changes to the test cases. The only bother is it shows, "New New New New New test" if I copy "test" 5 times.

mike #44893 11/07/12 10:01 AM
Bod
Helene Offline OP
OP Offline
Bod
Thanks a lot Mike, this information was very helpful indeed :-D

Marco, maybe you could include information about this copy functionality in the button hint?

I would also like to know your view on my other request:
"A separate testGui with the ability to enable or disable tests or entire test sets, like most xUnit frameworks supply would also be a very nice and most welcome addition. This should also allow for standalone, noGui running on a build server."

Is this something you will consider building? Or will we eventually need to build this ourselves?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard