Initial Thoughts
#64860 10/19/23 11:37 PM
Portland, OR, USA
M
mike Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Portland, OR, USA
I like the looks, that it works on Mac and Linux and that it uses SQL scripts for things like testing. I think it will be great.

I know it's in Alpha, so I expect it to be basic and limited functionality. It really highlights how nice PL/SQL Developer is and how much that tool can do.

Most of my questions end up in 2 categories:
1. What other things are planned to be added before the final release? I don't want to ask lots questions about what is coming. Like code contents is hard for me to live without, but should I ask? Stuff like that.

2. What is the goal of Plyxon and the target customer? Like is it supposed to be super basic, but cheaper? Is it going to eventually replace PL/SQL Developer or will both tools exist with a different purpose?

Re: Initial Thoughts
mike #64865 10/20/23 09:09 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

1. The feature-set of the final 1.0 release depends on user feedback for the most part. The same goes for 2.0 and onward.
  2. The goal of Plyxon is to to offer a cross-platform high-performance tool that strongly focuses on PL/SQL Development. It will not replace PL/SQL Developer. They will coexist, but they will share some developments in the future.

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations
mike #64930 11/06/23 05:43 PM
Pasadena, CA
Pasadena, CA
I need to echo Mike's comments. What is the differentiator between Plyxon and PL/SQL Developer? So far, based on the screenshots, I don't see a difference. Even the look-and-feel is the same.

At the moment, the landscape for Oracle development is frankly fragmented and frustrating. Oracle SQL Developer provides strong support for the latest/greatest Oracle features, beyond what PL/SQL Developer provides. On the other hand, its overall setup is very weak. Oracle has recently released an extension for VS Code that is very nice but feature-deficient. At the moment, I am bouncing around between Oracle SQL Developer and PL/SQL Developer, but I have to say neither meets 100% of my needs. As a simple example, I am in the process of migrating my on-prem database to AWS RDS, but I am struggling with simple things like exporting objects without including the low-level details like which buffer cache is used or which tablespace is used to store data. PL/SQL Developer does a great job with this...but does not recognize automatic partitions, nor does it recognize compression settings. As a result, I have to do a lot of global search/replaces, which is painful and time consuming.

I really really hope Plyxon can fill this niche: support for mainline DDL (which includes features that have been in Oracle since 11g), support for debugging and procedure development, and support for DevOps tasks like moving data from instance to instance. If it's delivered as a VS Code extension, that would be a bonus, but I understand if you prefer not to yoke yourself to a specific IDE, even if it is the flavor du jour.

Thanks,
Ara
mike #64932 11/06/23 08:34 PM
A
A
By far, this is the best news I've received during this time. For more than ten years, I've been asking for the MacOS version, and with this new software, they are definitely going to go a long way. I just installed it, and I loved it. I'm looking forward to trying out the Alpha version, and I'll certainly be providing feedback and requesting improvements.

Excellent work folks!!!!

Last edited by Andres Lopez; 11/06/23 08:35 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard