Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Best way to deal with XML
#64419 02/06/23 01:50 PM
R
RickS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have a column in the database that is an XMLType. When I select from the table the XML doesn't appear, instead it just shows the column type, "<XMLTYPE>".

I clicked the "..." hoping it would show me the XML, but instead it says:

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, of one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

What is the best way to use PL/SQL Developer with XML in the database? Is there an app to install? What is it called? How would I install it? Where is the "Default Apps Settings" page? Is there a way to get it to open Notepad++ to show me the XML, or is there something better?

Re: Best way to deal with XML
RickS #64422 02/06/23 05:31 PM
J
J
Assumption: You are using Windows.

If sounds like you have nothing defined to view a .xml file so Windows doesn't know what to do.

If you have a .xml file on your machine (desktop or any directory) and you double click it, what happens? Does it open in some software program or do you get the "How do you want to open this file" pop-up from Windows? I'm guessing you get the pop-up, simply pick Notepad++ to open the file with and that should automatically set it as the default for all .xml files.

If you don't have a .xml file handy and don't want to create an empty one by renaming a .txt file, another way is to type into the search bar (in the bottom left on a normal desktop) the phrase "Choose default apps" and pick "Choose default apps by file type". Scroll way down to .xml and if you see Choose a default for the program associated to it, go ahead and pick Notepad++.

After that, PL/SQL Developer should work correctly for you when clicking the "..."

A XML file is basically a specially formatted text file. If all you are doing is viewing a XML file, then Notepad++ is sufficient. If you are editing the .XML file, then getting a program designed to edit XML files would be highly recommended.

RickS #64423 02/06/23 08:22 PM
R
RickS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the response!

I do already have Notepad++ set up in Windows as the default way to open XML files. When I click an XML file in File Explorer, it does bring up Notepad++.

Your comment helped me because I didn't realize it was talking about the WINDOWS "Default Apps Settings page". If so, this may be some sort of permissions issue.

RickS #64426 02/08/23 01:50 PM
R
RickS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I wonder if when I click on the "..." on an XMLType column if PL/SQL Developer tries to open a file called "something.xml" or "something.some-other-extension". I wonder if I need to associate that other file extension with Notepad++ in Windows.

RickS #64427 02/08/23 03:28 PM
J
J
Here's how PL/SQL Developer (PSD) interacts with a column that shows <XMLTYPE> in it for me.

When I click the three dots, I get a pop-up asking ** View column data externally as "Extensible Markup Language"? ** with the Yes/No buttons and the Don't show this message again checkbox. If I click No, the Large Data Editor window within PSD pops up and shows me the data. If I click Yes, then the program associated with .xml files per Windows starts up. In my case it is Altova's XMLSpy. XMLSpy doesn't appear as a separate program on the taskbar. It instead appears like it is a second copy of PSD in terms of stacking.

If you ever click the "Don't show this message again" checkbox, you can find those under Preferences -> Options -> DSA Dialogs. Removing the line for View.xml restores the pop-up.

I don't recall making any changes within PSD to make it work with the program associated to .xml files. I have had to re-apply the windows level settings a few times over the years due to updates/installs of other things breaking/stealing permissions but that was all outside PSD.

RickS #64428 02/08/23 04:04 PM
R
RickS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks! I removed "View.xml=6" and now I get the "View column data externally as Extensible Markup Language?" popup. If I click "no" I get the desired results.

Is there any way to get it to always take the "no" path without prompting me?

RickS #64429 02/08/23 05:03 PM
J
J
Check the "Don't show this message again" checkbox before clicking the No button.

I still find it odd that Notepad++ won't start up via PSD if you have it associated at the OS level.

Reference: Your action will put View.xml=7 into the DSA file.

RickS #64909 11/01/23 06:47 PM
D
D
I am using Windows 64bit and PLSQL Developer 32 bit Version 13. When I select a column that contains an xml data type and the dialog displays "View column data externally as "XML FILE"?" When I click 'YES' another dialog opens "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, of one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page." When I hold the Control key and press the ellispse the Large Data Editor opens. On the External tab I select XML Document (.XML) and it populates ""C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\Office16\MSOXMLED.EXE" /verb open "%1" in the Execute with box. When I click the Execute button an error message displays "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an associated in the Default Apps Settings page. Is there anyway to have the data in the column open as xml?

RickS #65306 01/25/24 02:22 PM
R
RickS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I know this is an old thread, but I'm still trying to get part of this working.

When I click on the "..." next to an XMLType field in PL/SQL Developer, it says "View column data externally as Extensible Markup Language?". If I click "no" it works fine. It brings up a read-only screen showing the XML.

Now I'm trying to get it working when I click "yes". It would be very handy if I had the ability to edit the XML here.

I do have Notepad++ defined as my default app in Windows to open .xml files. But when I click "yes" it pops up that box with the message "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page".

Last edited by RickS; 01/25/24 02:35 PM.
RickS #65313 01/29/24 08:48 PM
R
RickS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Anybody here?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard