Print Thread
Performance v15
#64102 07/26/22 06:42 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to make v15 run a bit faster, or else I'll have to revert to v14, this is just undoable.

(1) when the program is minimized and reopened, let's say with 5-6 program windows open, it takes more than 30 seconds to show the normal screen again
(2) when you open a new SQL window, you wait 10+ seconds. When you Change a window, from Test to SQL, you'll have to wait at least 30 secs
(3) when you've opened a package body with, let's say 5000+ lines, it takes more than a second to move up/down one line (with the cursor). Pressing Enter doesn't have the delay. Moving page up/down takes 3-4 secs and you just see how the screen builds up, for each line scrolled, the (some I call) "position indicator" ... there where if shows how deep you are in a procedure/function... these square blocks just on top of the editor with things like "Declaration", "Function", "Code Section", "If" etc. (maybe this section can be disabled?)
(4) when you run a longer query, the screen may get black or seems to freeze, until the query has ended
(5) in general, opening database objects, or saved files, takes much longer

A thing that already started in v14 was that when you open a second PL/SQL developer instance, the oracle logon-screen, with predefined logins, is "somewhere", only to be found when you use Alt-Tab. I would understand this is the case if I myself had clicked onto other open programs meanwhile, but I haven't.

In all fairness, I have to say that have PL/SQL developer open for many days, often more than one, but usually there's at least one instance of the application open, so that could maybe explain the slowness when opening a new SQL window or so, but the slowness while editing in packages is always there.
PL/SQL doesn't seem to use more memory, or use much more CPU.

Re: Performance v15
Sjoerd Janssen #64104 07/26/22 09:09 AM
Exiting PL/SQL Developer (or any other application) at the end of a work day may be good practice.

If you are using 15.0.0, then version 15.0.1 may improve performance. The upcoming 15.0.2 version (in one or two weeks) will have some additional improvements.

Performance may further be improved if you go to Preferences > User Interface > Appearance and select "None" for the "Light style" and "Dark style". PL/SQL Developer needs to be restarted before this takes effect.

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations
Re: Performance v15
Sjoerd Janssen #64239 09/20/22 07:41 PM
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
Hazerswoude-Dorp, NL
Setting "None" for Light and Dark Style really does improve performance of version 15! Thanks for the tip Marco! Anything I can do to improve the performance of this tool I spend my days with.

Certainty of death, small chance of succes,
What are we waiting for... (Gimly)

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard