Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Feedback on the new PL/SQL Developer Interface
#64057 07/06/22 02:38 PM
M
OP Offline
M
After using the latest PL/SQL Developer for a few weeks: I’ve really, really, tried to like the new interface. Some of the rounder edges and icons are nicer. On the whole, it’s all generally nicer.

But there’s some things that greatly annoy me, that I still struggle to use, or don’t notice them because they’re hidden. These are things that I still can’t get used to:

1. Generally: too much grey on grey.
2. “Fetch Next Page” toolbar in particular does not clearly show when it’s available. It only changes to a very slightly different shade of grey. A few times now, this has dangerously led me to believe that I’d seen all the records.
3. Reduce Icon Sizes: only has a very small effect - even at its smallest setting, it is still too large. The list of tables in the Object Browser, for example, now only shows half of what it used to.
4. When looking at columns in a Table description: grey background is the same colour as the grey gridlines, with text just floating about.
5. Right Clicking on a Table name: 99% of the time, I want to either describe the structure, or select from the table. Not the 23 menu items that are shown. Took me a while to work out that the options I really want are hidden under a “Table” menu.
6. Right Clicking on a Procedure name: 99% of the time I want to use the (excellent) Test functionality. I had to show a co-worker when this menu item had moved to today.
7. In the Preferences: “Color theme mode” is currently set to Auto. Under this, in italics, text says “Windows setting is ??”

NB: this is using version 15.0.1.2051. Windows 10. Have played around with Day/Night/Auto and various other theme settings.

Hopefully this is useful, and reflects some of the views of others – it’s certainly not supposed to be critical of an otherwise excellent product.

Many thanks,

-mobailey

Re: Feedback on the new PL/SQL Developer Interface
mobailey #64087 07/18/22 01:43 PM
M
M
I strongly agree with point #1 (too much grey on grey) and #2 "Fetch" buttons color cues are not virtually non-existent - cannot tell when there are more records to be fetched.

mobailey #64088 07/19/22 02:12 PM
J
J
To add to point #1, I do miss the color variations of v14 and prior in v15.

mobailey #64092 07/20/22 03:17 PM
P
P
I second #1 and #2 - using default color scheme.

mobailey #64099 07/25/22 04:38 AM
UTC+10
I
I
UTC+10
Hi,
I support #1,2 - removing color information form the icons now requires more time and effort to find and click the right button. Maybe we can have an icon pack from v14 or something?

#5,6 too. Hiding most used options into submenu is totaly counterproductive.

mobailey #64157 08/22/22 02:27 PM
M
OP Offline
M
re:

"1. Generally: too much grey on grey.
2. “Fetch Next Page” toolbar in particular does not clearly show when it’s available. It only changes to a very slightly different shade of grey. A few times now, this has dangerously led me to believe that I’d seen all the records."

From latest release notes:

"August 5, 2022 - Version 15.0.2 released
• Improved button image colors for SQL Window fetch next page, last page and post changes"

I'm testing version 15.0.2 but - sorry - I don't think there's much improvement here. MAYBE the icon is now a little bluer to show its enabled. But basically its still grey on grey.

Once the button is pressed - yes, I can see it dim to a lighter shade of grey. But the enabled mode of these two buttons is still too similar to the other permanently-enabled buttons on this toolbar.

Is there anything further that can be done, to make it visually completely obvious that these buttons are enabled, and that more results are available? Many thanks,

-mobailey

mobailey #64203 09/06/22 08:22 AM
A
A
I totally agree with #1. I've seen this - in my opinion wrong and unnecessary - move to colorless icons on many products in recent years. But what for? What's wrong with color? Did I miss the studies showing that colorless icons make using a product more intuitive? I don't think so... The goal of software developers should be to make the user interface as user-friendly as possible, not to make the overall look of the product fancier. Design should follow function, not the other way round. Please provide a scheme with colored icons.

Last edited by AndreasWig; 09/06/22 09:31 AM.
mobailey #64205 09/06/22 01:24 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I'm wondering if Marco/the Allround Automations designers are seeing the same screens that we are.

Take the following example:

[img]https://ibb.co/K6HnSBN[/img]

This includes, from the top:
- grey tabs for each table with a darker grey for selected tab (Dept)
- grey tabs for each page with a darker grey for selected tab (Columns)
- grey form background
- grey grid
- grey column headers
- grey table background
- grey gridlines the same shade as the background, and therefore invisible.

It's madness. Is this really the intended look and feel that the designers were trying to achieve? I agree we don't want anything garish, but we do request an interface that is usable.

Many thanks,

-mobailey

mobailey #64206 09/06/22 01:32 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I'm wondering if Marco/the Allround Auotmations designers are seeing the same screens that we are.

Take the following example:

[img]https://ibb.co/K6HnSBN[/img]

This includes, from the top:
- grey tabs for each table with a darker grey for selected tab (Dept)
- grey tabs for each page with a darker grey for selected tab (Columns)
- grey form background
- grey grid
- grey column headers
- grey table background
- grey gridlines the same shade as the background, and therefore invisible.

It's madness. Is this really the intended look and feel that the designers were trying to achieve? I agree we don't want anything garish, but we do request an inteface that is usable.

-mobailey

mobailey #64212 09/09/22 06:44 AM
A
A
By the way, most of the companies that moved to gray on gray went back to - or at least provided a choice of - colored icons because too many users complained...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard