Print Thread
Keep connections alive
#62119 10/21/20 01:33 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello,
could it be possible to implement feature to keep ALL connections alive using periodical ping (select * from dual) ?
Most of preformace issues are caused by timeouts.
If PLSQL is leaved (for a while) alone, after that there're a lot of "not responding" situations (when connections are trying to be used)
I know there're two checkboxes (options)
"Check connections" and
"Check all sessions"
but it doesn't help to check both. Connections are timeouted when you don't use PLSQL developer for a while, then lags happens
It is for us (our developers) actually the most crucial issue. It has been discussed here plenty of times in different threads and different scenarios, but it's all the same issue:
Poor multiple connection handling. Connection is lost, then there's attempt to use this connection -> mostly leads to about 30 sec lag.
Seems to be easy to implement, but it has to cover really all connections...I dont know what "Check all sessions" does, but obviously it does not checks all connections...
Thank you very much.

Last edited by czdavidm; 10/21/20 01:37 PM.
Re: Keep connections alive
czdavidm #62125 10/22/20 09:25 AM
The "Check connections" and "Check all sessions" will do exactly that. It will ping each session once per minute, so that no time-outs can occur.

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations
Re: Keep connections alive
czdavidm #62130 10/23/20 08:26 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Actually it doesn't work. Do you have any idea how can I help you find out the problem?
how it behaves:
When a user continuously use the PLSQL Developer, then it works. But when user leaves PLSQL Developer without any interaction (and mostly minimize the main program window) and then returns back after let say 15 minutes, after first few "keyboard stroke" applications freezes - it is obviously trying to reach database (e.g. code asistant activates and "try to help" ), but connection is invalid (i'm sure it was closed by oracle due to inactivity) and it takes a long time (tens seconds) application "find out" that connection is invalid.
It should be solved using "Check connections" and "Check all sessions" , but as I said, it does not help.
But, if user leaves PLSQL Developer without any interaction, then returns back and immediately clicks on "Sessions-Log Of - All" and then reconnect the session, there's no lag, all operations (including reconnect) is very quick.
So, based on this observation, Im convinced "Check connections" and "Check all sessions" does not work as intended.

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard