Print Thread
Unit Test Framework
#44942 11/16/12 09:15 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Can anyone recommend, or had any experience with, a unit testing framework which would work with PL/SQL Developer?

I know the Test Manager option is available although quite basic. I also know of the utPLSQL framework and and feedback on experience with this would be appreciated.

Re: Unit Test Framework
Eric McDonald #44944 11/16/12 02:10 PM
Bod
Bod
We tested some frameworks a few years ago, including utPLSQL. The conclusion was that the Test Manager in plSQL Developer is what works absolutely best for us :-) It was necessary to make our own utility in order to run the tests on the nightly build. Since the .ts and .tst files are simple text files, that has not been too hard.

I found that - at least in our environment - the tools that are based on a database repository and a lot of database packages would be harder to use and administer in a good way. However, I realize that other tools may have developed quite a bit since we looked at them...

So - we use the Test Manager extensively, and it works well for us. We simply add the ts and tst-files to the VCS tool, together with the database code it is meant to test.

We really would like some enhancements to this test utility though. Amongst others, a utility for running all tests or selected tests in a separate GUI with the common red/green markings etc would be really helpful :-)

Last edited by Helene; 11/16/12 02:43 PM.
Re: Unit Test Framework
Helene #44946 11/16/12 05:39 PM
Portland, OR, USA
M
M
Portland, OR, USA
It's been awhile, but I've looked at a few.

utPLSQL seemed, to me, to be more work than I wanted to do. It's been awhile since I've looked, but I think someone worked on a gui for it that looked promising.

I liked Quest Code Tester a lot, but it is expensive. It is easy to learn, has a nice interface, handles lots of different kinds of tests. The Freeware version is crippled too much to be useful in my opinion. It's not integrated with PL/SQL Developer either.

I use the Test Manager that comes with PL/SQL Developer. You're right - It is limited, so I ended up writing custom stuff to fill in some things I wish it had. I wrote a program to create blank test scripts for each of the public procedures in a package so I don't have to right click all of them to make a test script. Another program copies the private procedures/functions to be public so I can test them. Another copies tables so I can see what is in global temporary tables for the session. Stuff like that. Comparing collections that are inputs or outputs of a function is still difficult, because I haven't found a good way to automatically create the test script.

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard