Posted By: Dave P Unicode Configuration - 09/28/22 11:17 AM
I'm hoping I've got a config setting wrong somewhere, but I've been stuck with a client issue, that I've found wasn't the application that I'm supporting. I've boiled it down to the following:

If I run the following SQL from either a SQL or Command window

select 'Ş' from dual;

The results window displays

S

If I run this from Oracle SQL Developer, it displays correctly.

Is there something I need to change to make the display correct?
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode Configuration - 09/29/22 08:59 AM
This indicates that the NLS_LANG for the Oracle Client is either missing, or specifies a character set that is incompatible with the 'Ş' character.

You can go to Preferences > Oracle > Connections, add a new variable, select NLS_LANG, and select a "language_territory.characterset" value that specifies UTF8 for the character set. You will need to restart PL/SQL Developer before this takes effect.
Posted By: Dave P Re: Unicode Configuration - 09/29/22 09:37 AM
Thanks Marco. I can't find a global setting for the instant client, so I've added it under preferences, and that's fixed the issue.
Posted By: ifernan Re: Unicode Configuration - 08/24/23 12:28 PM
Hi.

I am working with Unicode characters and using the settings from previous posts in PLSQL Developer 15, overall it works fine. But I found that 4 byte Unicode chars don't always display correctly.

A query like this, that have a 'christmast tree' (4byte Unicode char)

Code
select 'A Ñ ã ø 会 ☎ 🎄' from dual;

display garbage as output. But If you remove 'christmast tree' the output shows all the characters properly.

Going one step further, executing a query like this (SELECT 1), that returns same characters that the previous one:

Code
select UNISTR('A Ñ \00E3 \00F8 \4F1A \260E \D83C\DF84') from dual;

Output is showing all the characters properly

But if you copy the value returned and paste as the string of a new SELECT from dual query (SELECT 2), garbage it's displayed again in output. But, incredibly, the header is showing all the characters properly (see images attached).

Regards,
ifernand

Attached picture SELECT_1.gif
Attached picture SELECT_2.gif
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode Configuration - 08/25/23 09:26 AM
Maybe this is an environment problem. Can you start PL/SQL Developer without connecting, go to Help > Support Info and send me the text from the "Info" tab page?
Posted By: ifernan Re: Unicode Configuration - 08/28/23 11:23 AM
I have attached a file with "Info" tab.

Attached File
info.txt  (1 downloads)
Posted By: ifernan Re: Unicode Configuration - 09/12/23 12:32 PM
Any news about this?
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode Configuration - 09/13/23 08:21 AM
My apologies, I missed this. And unfortunately my request was not quite correct. Can you send me the "Info" text while connected to this database?
Posted By: ifernan Re: Unicode Configuration - 09/18/23 07:30 AM
"Info" when connected attached.

Attached File
info.connected.txt  (2 downloads)
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode Configuration - 09/18/23 08:59 AM
Thanks. I see that your NLS_LANG is defined as SPANISH_SPAIN.UTF8. Can you change this to SPANISH_SPAIN.AL32UTF8 and try again? You can make this change through Preferences > Oracle > Connection by adding or changing the NLS_LANG variable under the "Environment Variables" section.
Posted By: ifernan Re: Unicode Configuration - 09/20/23 09:00 AM
Thanks Marco. With that NLS_LANG everything is working fine. grin
© Allround Automations forums