After using the latest PL/SQL Developer for a few weeks: I’ve really, really, tried to like the new interface. Some of the rounder edges and icons are nicer. On the whole, it’s all generally nicer.

But there’s some things that greatly annoy me, that I still struggle to use, or don’t notice them because they’re hidden. These are things that I still can’t get used to:

1. Generally: too much grey on grey.
2. “Fetch Next Page” toolbar in particular does not clearly show when it’s available. It only changes to a very slightly different shade of grey. A few times now, this has dangerously led me to believe that I’d seen all the records.
3. Reduce Icon Sizes: only has a very small effect - even at its smallest setting, it is still too large. The list of tables in the Object Browser, for example, now only shows half of what it used to.
4. When looking at columns in a Table description: grey background is the same colour as the grey gridlines, with text just floating about.
5. Right Clicking on a Table name: 99% of the time, I want to either describe the structure, or select from the table. Not the 23 menu items that are shown. Took me a while to work out that the options I really want are hidden under a “Table” menu.
6. Right Clicking on a Procedure name: 99% of the time I want to use the (excellent) Test functionality. I had to show a co-worker when this menu item had moved to today.
7. In the Preferences: “Color theme mode” is currently set to Auto. Under this, in italics, text says “Windows setting is ??”

NB: this is using version 15.0.1.2051. Windows 10. Have played around with Day/Night/Auto and various other theme settings.

Hopefully this is useful, and reflects some of the views of others – it’s certainly not supposed to be critical of an otherwise excellent product.

Many thanks,

-mobailey
I strongly agree with point #1 (too much grey on grey) and #2 "Fetch" buttons color cues are not virtually non-existent - cannot tell when there are more records to be fetched.
To add to point #1, I do miss the color variations of v14 and prior in v15.
I second #1 and #2 - using default color scheme.
Hi,
I support #1,2 - removing color information form the icons now requires more time and effort to find and click the right button. Maybe we can have an icon pack from v14 or something?

#5,6 too. Hiding most used options into submenu is totaly counterproductive.
re:

"1. Generally: too much grey on grey.
2. “Fetch Next Page” toolbar in particular does not clearly show when it’s available. It only changes to a very slightly different shade of grey. A few times now, this has dangerously led me to believe that I’d seen all the records."

From latest release notes:

"August 5, 2022 - Version 15.0.2 released
• Improved button image colors for SQL Window fetch next page, last page and post changes"

I'm testing version 15.0.2 but - sorry - I don't think there's much improvement here. MAYBE the icon is now a little bluer to show its enabled. But basically its still grey on grey.

Once the button is pressed - yes, I can see it dim to a lighter shade of grey. But the enabled mode of these two buttons is still too similar to the other permanently-enabled buttons on this toolbar.

Is there anything further that can be done, to make it visually completely obvious that these buttons are enabled, and that more results are available? Many thanks,

-mobailey
I totally agree with #1. I've seen this - in my opinion wrong and unnecessary - move to colorless icons on many products in recent years. But what for? What's wrong with color? Did I miss the studies showing that colorless icons make using a product more intuitive? I don't think so... The goal of software developers should be to make the user interface as user-friendly as possible, not to make the overall look of the product fancier. Design should follow function, not the other way round. Please provide a scheme with colored icons.
I'm wondering if Marco/the Allround Automations designers are seeing the same screens that we are.

Take the following example:

[img]https://ibb.co/K6HnSBN[/img]

This includes, from the top:
- grey tabs for each table with a darker grey for selected tab (Dept)
- grey tabs for each page with a darker grey for selected tab (Columns)
- grey form background
- grey grid
- grey column headers
- grey table background
- grey gridlines the same shade as the background, and therefore invisible.

It's madness. Is this really the intended look and feel that the designers were trying to achieve? I agree we don't want anything garish, but we do request an interface that is usable.

Many thanks,

-mobailey
I'm wondering if Marco/the Allround Auotmations designers are seeing the same screens that we are.

Take the following example:

[img]https://ibb.co/K6HnSBN[/img]

This includes, from the top:
- grey tabs for each table with a darker grey for selected tab (Dept)
- grey tabs for each page with a darker grey for selected tab (Columns)
- grey form background
- grey grid
- grey column headers
- grey table background
- grey gridlines the same shade as the background, and therefore invisible.

It's madness. Is this really the intended look and feel that the designers were trying to achieve? I agree we don't want anything garish, but we do request an inteface that is usable.

-mobailey
By the way, most of the companies that moved to gray on gray went back to - or at least provided a choice of - colored icons because too many users complained...
To add to point #1, nad I do miss the color variations of v14 and prior in v15.
The new interface is really cumbersome compared to the previous version, which turned out to be very successful.
My monitor 4k resolution
See in attach

Attached picture new_plsql_large_ui.jpg
Agree entirely with this thread. I've tried to get along with v15 - there are aspects that I like, but it's impact on productivity outweighs using it. I've gone back to v14.
For the most part, I agree with the OP:

The new grey-on-grey doesn't provide as much info and isn't as easily scannable.

On the other hand, wiktorbgu's Window List comparison doesn't match my impression. I think the new Window list looks as-good, if not better, than the old. When there's color, it's more obvious (so long as you're not colorblind to yellow-blue).

My attached Window list seems pretty clear to me [img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo85714z01i6ajl/PSD%20Window%20List%20v15.png?dl=0[/img]

I don't normally display the Window list, so didn't really consider it before. Probably because my ADHD requires I keep fewer windows on-screen than my peers.
© Allround Automations forums