Posted By: adrianzagar Freezeing when connecting remote via RDP - 02/12/20 06:54 AM
Scenario:
- I have my work computer with PLSQL Developer open/connected
- lock my station, went home
- connect to work with Windows Remote Desktop (via vnp, but that's unimportant).

Even when both computers (home & work) have the same screen resolution, PLSQL Developer makes all Windows interface to freeze for 1-10 (yes, ten) minutes. In between, task manager shows that PLSQL Developer use 25-50% of CPU. If I kill PLSQL Developer, everything de-freeze. If not, after that 1-10 minutes everything came back to normal, including PLSQL Developer.
To obtain some more diagnostic information, can you modify the PL/SQL Developer shortcut and add the DebugSQL parameter? For example:

"C:\Program Files\PLSQL Developer 13\plsqldev.exe" DebugSQL

Reproduce the problem and send me the debug.txt file that is generated in the %APPDATA%\PLSQL Developer 13 directory (e.g. C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\PLSQL Developer 13).

OK, I have debug.txt. Where could I send it?
You can send it to support@allroundautomations.com and refer to this forum topic.
I sent it some days ago. If you need any further tests on my computers please let me know. Thank you!
I can confirm this affects me too. I reported it some time ago but didn't get a response to it.

https://forums.allroundautomations.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=59581

I can confirm it happens every time I open up RDP to PLSQLDev running on Windows (10 now, was 8 before - 7 before that). I will type in my query, F8 to execute and then it's gone for a good few minutes (might actually be the 60seconds Marco mentions in the program help regarding 'Check Connection' - i've never timed it - seems like forever when you're waiting) while the screen is greying out and I have nothing but a pinwheel spinning around.

Whatever my network setup is at my remote site shouldn't matter - the fact is I'm connected in via RDP to the machine, so once in everything should be as if I was there physically. And for the most part, everything is working fine - just plsql developer. Tested it against Oracle SQLDev and that has no issue.
Freezing is happening because of bandwidth issues in using Windows Remote Desktop. Switch to a 3rd party tool like logmein, R-HUB remote support servers etc. and check if the issue still persists.
Originally Posted by Ralph Wulf
Freezing is happening because of bandwidth issues in using Windows Remote Desktop. Switch to a 3rd party tool like logmein, R-HUB remote support servers etc. and check if the issue still persists.

Can't see how that would affect only PLSQLDev though - nothing else freezes. Oracle's SQL Developer copes just fine so does every other piece of software I use.
It's only PLSQL Dev that freezes.
But thanks for your reply nonetheless.
+1
(this kind of freezing due of "bandwidth issues in using Windows Remote Desktop" is nonsense)
I am experiencing the same problem. If I disconnect my RDP session with PL/SQL Developer open in de RDP session, the time I reconnect the RDP session PL/SQL Developer is frozen. Maybe I am not patient enough but after several minutes I kill PL/SQL Developer. After restarting PL/SQL Developer everything is normal again.
This is very frustrating and time consuming. Before Microsoft RDP (AVD) I used a Citrix VDI and there this problem did not occur. And PL/SQL Developer is the only program that shows this behavior, all other programs including Oracle SQL Developer work just fine.

I am using a Windows 10 Pro 21H1 laptop and a Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1 RDP session with PL/SQL Developer 14.0.6.1988
+1
very annoying

(pl/sql developer 14.0.6 32bit, win10 20h2)
@Marco Kalter, can you confirm this bug is fixed in v15?
I have this same issue with both v14 and v15. Not only does it cause everything to freeze. I also get repeatedly disconnected from RDP and then often cannot reconnect for several minutes. It is extremely frustrating. My productivity has suffered greatly because of this especially before determining that PL/SQL Developer was causing this. But now at least I know I can shut it down to resolve the issue.

When this occurs, other applications always unfreeze before PL/SQL Developer.
© Allround Automations forums