Posted By: Dragonba Break button is not working. - 01/02/20 10:15 AM
Hi all,

I have problem with PL/SQL Developer. Break button is not working for me. Icon is active (red), but after executing some query and click on the button, nothing happened. Also query never stop and PL/SQL Developer crash after some time. All queries are working on coleague computer with same preferences and break button is working for him too. Any ideas what to do with this?
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Break button is not working. - 01/03/20 09:59 AM
Can you go to Preferences > Oracle / Connection and check how the "Session Mode" option is set? If it is set to "Single Session", can you change it to "Dual Session" or "Multi Session", restart PL/SQL Developer, and try again?
Posted By: Kevin Seymour Re: Break button is not working. - 05/12/20 08:57 PM
I am having the same issue on PL/SQL Developer 14 w/ Oracle 19c (19.3) client connecting to a 12c database (12.2). I am able to kill the session from another window and then I get a TNS bad packet error. I am using multi-session mode.
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Break button is not working. - 05/13/20 08:35 AM
To obtain some more diagnostic information, can you modify the PL/SQL Developer shortcut and add the DebugSQL parameter? For example:

"C:\Program Files\PLSQL Developer 14\plsqldev.exe" DebugSQL

Reproduce the problem and send me the debug.txt file that is generated in the %APPDATA%\PLSQL Developer 14 directory (e.g. C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\PLSQL Developer 14).

Posted By: Kevin Seymour Re: Break button is not working. - 05/14/20 05:08 PM
I have sent an email to your support address.
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Break button is not working. - 05/15/20 08:53 AM
Thanks. In the log file I can see that the break is sent, and that there is no subsequent "ORA-01013: user requested cancel of current operation" exception, which one would expect. Not all operations allow a break though.

As a test, can you run the following script in a SQL Window or Test Window and try to break it?

Code
begin
  dbms_lock.sleep(seconds => 60);
end;
This procedure will "sleep" for 60 seconds, and you should be able to break it instantaneously.

Let me know how this turns out.
Posted By: Kevin Seymour Re: Break button is not working. - 05/18/20 04:11 PM
It behaves the same as trying to kill a query and hangs. I am 22 minutes into it "running"; eventually the connection will time out and die.
Posted By: Kevin Seymour Re: Break button is not working. - 05/18/20 04:25 PM
Some other observations:

If I am in an SQL window and hit break, nothing happens and the query runs forever (or until the connection idles and dies). If I try to close the tab I get a prompt something is running and am offered a Terminate button. Clicking that button hangs the entire application.

If I am in a TEST window and hit break it behaves the same as the SQL window. If I try to close the tab I get the same prompt as the SQL window except it DOES actually terminate the PL/SQL block.

Hopefully this adds some insight.
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Break button is not working. - 05/19/20 08:56 AM
Maybe this is an environment problem. Can you start PL/SQL Developer, connect to this database, go to Help > Support Info and send me the text from the "Info" tab page?
Posted By: Kevin Seymour Re: Break button is not working. - 05/19/20 01:00 PM
I sent you another email.
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Break button is not working. - 05/20/20 09:18 AM
I see that you are using a 64 bit Oracle19 client. We have one more problem report like this for this exact client configuration. Even though we have not been able to reproduce this issue, the customer was able to resolve this by using the 32 bit version of PL/SQL Developer and a 32 bit Oracle Client.

As a test, can you download the 32 bit version of PL/SQL Developer and check if this resolved the issue for you too?

Posted By: Kevin Seymour Re: Break button is not working. - 05/20/20 01:48 PM
I have the exact same behavior when using 32-bit versions of the same software.
Posted By: Kevin Seymour Re: Break button is not working. - 05/22/20 01:18 PM
Marco, any other suggestions? It's pretty impossible to not break queries.
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Break button is not working. - 05/22/20 02:22 PM
At the moment I can only suggest that you try a previous Oracle Client version. Can you try this with an Oracle12 Client?
Posted By: Kevin Seymour Re: Break button is not working. - 05/22/20 02:39 PM
It works correctly with the 12c client.
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Break button is not working. - 05/23/20 08:21 AM
Okay. We'll continue to investigate.
Posted By: Martins Re: Break button is not working. - 10/19/20 07:53 AM
Hey.
99% of times I try to break execution it is not working since we installed version 14.02.1969. Maybe something changed recently? Before it was +/- fine.

EDIT: Ok, 99% of times is a little bit too harsh, but the bottom line is - lately something has changed to worse with this. Idk, looked through latest update changelog, couldn't find anything related.
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Break button is not working. - 10/19/20 08:33 AM
The break function has not changed recently.
Posted By: mike Re: Break button is not working. - 10/21/20 03:06 PM
If/when break does not work for me and I don't want to wait, I open another PL/SQL Developer. Then I use the sessions tool to kill the session.
Posted By: Martins Re: Break button is not working. - 10/28/20 10:18 AM
Got another complaint from a co-worker that the cancel SQL is no working anymore.
We're using version 14.0.3.1981.
Killing sessions is not an option because there are databases where I don't have ALTER SYSTEM priviliges.
We can try closing the SQL window and PLSQL developer offers a button "Terminate". But when I press that, plsqldev becomes not responding and the only option is to kill it.
Posted By: Martins Re: Break button is not working. - 10/28/20 10:23 AM
And got another complaint from a co-worker that the "Terminate" button "hangs" plsqldev.
Posted By: Martins Re: Break button is not working. - 11/02/20 12:31 PM
Just got another complaint from a co-worker that lately Break is not working. Yes, we are using the same plsql dev version and same databases but still. Is there any way we could diagnose the prolem?
Posted By: jhughes Re: Break button is not working. - 12/04/20 05:58 PM
I'll jump into this conversation. I'm using PSD 14.0.4.1985. The About window says
OCI: version 12.1
DLL: c:\Oracle\instantclient_19_8\oci.dll
and I'm connected to an 11.2.0.4 DB
I'm using the 64 bit version of Instant Client
I have a query running and shortly after starting it, I clicked the red lightening bolt to break it and nothing happened. I've clicked it multiple times and nothing, also tried Session -> Break from the menu as well and nothing. PSD is still responsive, but the query continues to run. My Session Mode is "Multi session"

I used a Test window for the dbms_lock.sleep(seconds => 60); run against at 12.1 DB and it did not stop it. In fact, the Test window is still Executing.... and the time is up over 4 minutes now.

If I try to close the running tab and click Terminate, then that locks up PSD (which is probably to be expected).

I've successfully used Session Break before on prior versions of PSD against these two DBs when I was using the Instant Client 12.1. Is this a change in how Instant Client itself it working?
Posted By: jhughes Re: Break button is not working. - 12/04/20 11:09 PM
I re-pointed PSD back to the instantclient_12_1 I still had on my machine and ran the dbms_lock.sleep(20); test against the 12.1 DB. At 8 seconds, I pressed the red icon to break the session. At the 15 second mark, I I had the pop-up window appear that stated
ORA-01013: user requested cancel of current operation
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_LOCK", line 205
ORA-06512: at line 7

View program sources of error stack?

So it looks like PSD works correctly with Instant Client 12.1 for doing breaks, but not with Instant Client 19.8
Posted By: T-Gergely Re: Break button is not working. - 12/07/20 09:26 AM
I faced that problem recently. I put the line "DISABLE_OOB=on" in sqlnet.ora to overcome it. Don't ask me what Oracle changed and where it's documented: I don't know.
Posted By: jhughes Re: Break button is not working. - 12/14/20 06:09 PM
If you have MetaLink access, DISABLE_OOB is defined in Doc ID 373475.1 - What is DISABLE_OOB (Out Of Band Break)?

The short answer is it simply changes how the break is sent from client to server whether it is sent using urgent data provided by the underlying protocol. So it could be Oracle tweaked that underlying protocol handling in Instant Client 19c, but just a guess.
Posted By: T-Gergely Re: Break button is not working. - 12/14/20 10:44 PM
I know that, thanks. I meant I couldn't find the actual OCI change documented.
Posted By: Martins Re: Break button is not working. - 01/04/21 02:37 PM
Yes, in my case the problem was - I was using Oracle client 19c against older (11g) databases.
Switching back to client version 12 helped.
Thanks guys for the hint!
© Allround Automations forums