Posted By: Corax Poor performance vs Oracle SQL Developer - 08/24/17 01:53 PM
Hello
I am having troubles with PL/SQL Developer on DB with many packages and data. Oracle SQL Developer works just fine.
I have tried all guidelines on this forum.
Thanks
Can you let me know exactly when performance is poor? What kind of actions are you performing that are slow?
Posted By: Corax Re: Poor performance vs Oracle SQL Developer - 08/25/17 09:56 AM
Opening packages, just scrolling down the packages, data fetching
Posted By: Corax Re: Poor performance vs Oracle SQL Developer - 08/25/17 10:08 AM
Executing statement
To obtain some more diagnostic information, can you modify the shortcut and add the DebugSQL parameter? For example:

"C:\Program Files\PLSQL Developer 12\plsqldev.exe" DebugSQL

Reproduce the problem and send me the debug.txt file that is generated in the %APPDATA%\PLSQL Developer 12 directory (e.g. C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\PLSQL Developer 12).
Posted By: kcl Re: Poor performance vs Oracle SQL Developer - 10/20/17 09:26 AM
Hi

Was there any feedback regarding this? I'm seeing the same performance issues?

Regards,
Kenny
Posted By: mike Re: Poor performance vs Oracle SQL Developer - 10/20/17 03:12 PM
Agreed - opening packages takes about 5 seconds compared to v11 opening in less than a second. Switching databases is slow. It's faster to close everything and open pl/sql developer again.
Posted By: Bart Re: Poor performance vs Oracle SQL Developer - 10/23/17 08:42 AM
I stand with the decreasing (in negative sense) performance of plsql developer (coming from version 5.x).

Thought was the (distributed) environment
When writing some simple applications with lazarus and oracle components things truely fly. Even with xmltype/blobs, which really, really hurt in plsql developer when co-selected in queries.

Think performance and snappyness should be highest on the list for new version(s).
Posted By: koja Re: Poor performance vs Oracle SQL Developer - 05/17/18 01:00 PM
I agree with above members, performance of PL/SQL Developer has been degrading over the years and it would be on of my most favoured improvements if the developer could improve this.

That said, some things I did that improved responsiveness of PL/SQL Developer:
1) disabled the clipboard history. (preferences - editor - clipboard)
2) made sure nls_sort from backend and client matched(registry - Oracle home)

Posted By: Worker Re: Poor performance vs Oracle SQL Developer - 05/17/18 04:42 PM
If we're sharing performance-increasing tips, mine is:
Turn off Preferences->Connection->Store recent history

My problems related to slow startup and connection-switching went away when I turned that setting off.
[quote=koja]
2) made sure nls_sort from backend and client matched(registry - Oracle home) [/quote]

NLS_SORT according to Oracle Documentation

"NLS_SORT specifies the collating sequence for ORDER BY queries."

Nothing to do with any kind of client performance.
Performance is definitely the issue, we all knows that, but despite of that is PLSQL Developer one of the best tool of the market, so, we have to try keep calm everytime hellish delay happens smile (and some days its pretty often smile
In my opinion problems are related to connection handling, multiple connections are more "addition" than integral part of application (why is there some "main" connection?). The hell comes when you try to use more connection at the same time and some of them are not available (eg you discconnect the vpn...) even if you tell the developper to close the connection, it sometimes "try" (=at least 30sec timeout) smile .. Another problem is poor tuning of system/dba queries (to get the oracle catalog data), you can try the checkbox "use DBA Views if avaliable" but it doesnt help much.
But as I wrote, for developer there isnt something really better smile
Worker,

Thanks for your tip:

[quote]Turn off Preferences->Connection->Store recent history[/quote]
That worked nicely for me.

- Stew
© Allround Automations forums