Posted By: Test Name Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/10/12 12:14 PM
I see some other similar threads on this, but the issue I'm having is a little different (although possible related).

I'm using Windows 7 64, Pl/SQL Dev 9.0.4

When I highlight SQL from the SQL window and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C), the screen freezes/pauses for a few seconds.

All other programs on my PC can copy to the clipbord just fine.

Any idea of which settings/preferences I could change to stop this issue?

Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/12/12 11:10 AM
I'm not sure what could cause this. Pressing Ctrl-C doesn't do anything more than copy the selection to the clipboard.

Does this happen for all copy actions, or does it matter in which window, or how large the selection is, or something else?
Posted By: Test Name Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/12/12 12:22 PM
Thanks for your reply Marco.

It happens regardless of text selection size.
It happens in the SQL Window and Command Window.
It does not happen when selecting text from a dataset cell.

When looking at my windows task manager performance tab, I see the CPU increase 5% to 7% when copying from the SQL/Command window, it sits at this for a few seconds. It'll only rise 1% to 2% when selecting the same text from something else (notepad for example) and drop back down instantly.

Posted By: comdirect Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/20/12 01:34 PM
we have the same issue (with citrix).
Marco: could you look into this problem please?
maybe this one helps a bit: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX101600
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/20/12 01:46 PM
Thanks, we'll check it out.
Posted By: Test Name Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 03/28/12 08:21 AM
Any update on this?
I use PL/SQL Developer for about 80% of my daily work, and it's a real bind waiting around for the clipboard to respond.

Posted By: M Adamovic Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 04/02/12 09:09 PM
I have noticed the same thing with "cut". But it is inconsistent, sometimes it's faster, sometimes it's slower. I notice it mainly in the PL/SQL window, but in SQL window as well. I thought it had something to do with code parsing, but that was just a guess.

I have a fast machine so it doesn't bother me too much. Hey, you need quad core i7 to edit files in PL/SQL developer.
Posted By: Paulo Santos Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 06/25/12 12:50 PM
We have the same problem. When copying with Ctrl C or any other way the application freezes for 2 or 3 seconds. Very annoying.

I noticed that Special Copy doesn't seem to have any delay.

I'm running PL/SQL Developer on Windows 7, 64bits.

EDIT: Oh, and it's version 8.0.4.1514, please let me know if you know of any workaround for this.
Posted By: SvenBrennaAveva Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 10/10/12 12:35 PM
Could it be 64-bit problem?
I have got a new PC with Windows 7 64-bits and PLSQL Developer 9.0 and I also have the cut/copy problem (freezes/pauses). On my old PC running Windows Vista 32-bits and PLSQL Developer 8.x it was no problem.
Posted By: salcar70 Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 10/10/12 01:56 PM
Hi, we have the same problem with Microsoft Windows XP Professional 32-bit and PLSQL Developer 9.0.6.1665 07.73972
Posted By: SvenBrennaAveva Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 10/27/12 06:54 PM
Found the solution for the problem on my PC. The problem was Outlook. I am running Office 2010. I also discovered that other programs also have this problem/issue, but the pause/freeze is not so long as in PL/SQL Developer.

Today the Microsoft Exchange Server was offline so I just closed Outlook and then suddenly PL/SQL Developer was working as it should. When I started Outlook again the problem was back. I do not know why this was working on my old PC.
Posted By: Test Name Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/30/13 12:31 PM
I can confirm that closing outlook also fixes the problem for me too.
But I need to have outlook open :-(
Posted By: Marc Bisping Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 05/08/13 05:27 AM
Hello,

is there any solution for this problem?

With Outlook 2010 running cut&paste is extremely slow...

Closing Outlook is no solution for us...

Regards,
Marc
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 05/08/13 08:39 AM
Unfortunately we have not yet been able to reproduce this or find a possible cause.
Posted By: IvanZ Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 05/14/13 12:00 AM
I can confirm the existing of the problem with Outlook 2013 too.

No other editor had this issue so it's maybe some special API that you call on copy handling.
Posted By: jking Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 05/17/13 02:27 PM
I'm experiencing the same issue and it is really annoying. I did notice that the problem is not as bad when I do a "copy" from within a "grid" (e.g. results grid). It only pauses for a fraction of a second from the grid but there is a about a 3-4 second pause when copying from anywhere else (SQL Window, Program Window).

Please try to figure this out.

Thanks.
Posted By: HerrryJ-Wong Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 05/31/13 09:12 AM
I'm experiencing the same issue, with outlook 2010 (word 2010, excel 2010 are the same, in one word, all applications of office 2010 ) running, the copy or cut is extremely slow. Can any one know how to fixed this issue? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Paulo Santos Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 06/05/13 09:04 AM
I confirm that closing Outlook 2010 solves the problem. Well spotted!
The freezing time varies between 1s in the morning up to 5s in the end of the day, but the whole performance of PL/SQL Developer degrades as the day progresses, switching between windows is slower and Copy freeze times also increase.

Using version 9.0.6.1655
Posted By: Paulo Santos Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 06/06/13 08:36 AM
>Unfortunately we have not yet been able to reproduce this or find a possible cause.

To help reproduce this, I have:
-Windows 7 (x64)
-Machine in a domain
-Outlook 2010 (v14.0.6129.5000 (32-bit))
-PL/SQL Developer 9.0.6.1655

Also, I noticed that Special Copy (C#, C++, etc) always works fast. You must be doing something differently on those commands, and that might help track the problem.
Posted By: Hilarion Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 06/06/13 10:49 AM
You may want to check if "Include font style with Copy" PL/SQL Developer option (in: Tools / Preferences / User Interface / Fonts / Editor) makes any difference.
You could also try clearing your Office clipboard and/or try changing it's settings. This link may help you find the Office clipboard window:
http://www.addintools.com/documents/office/where-clipboard.html
Posted By: jking Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 06/07/13 05:27 PM
I've tried turning off the "Include font style with Copy" and it appears to help a little bit but there is still a delay.

The "Special Copy" copies the text without any delay so there must be some differences between the way the text is copied.

Marco, I know you can't reproduce this but it is very frustrating to have to wait 3-4 seconds every time I do a CTRL-C. Can you revert to the "copying method" of previous version of PSD.

Thanks.
Posted By: T-Gergely Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 06/10/13 09:26 AM
Until this is fixed, can't you redefine Ctrl+C to use "Special Copy"?
Posted By: jking Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 06/10/13 01:46 PM
[quote=T-Gergely]Until this is fixed, can't you redefine Ctrl+C to use "Special Copy"? [/quote]

The problem with "Special Copy" is that it adds the extra quotes, etc to match the Language you've copied for. (i.e. "text to copy" gets pasted as "'text to copy';" when doing a PLSQL Special Copy).
Posted By: T-Gergely Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 06/10/13 03:25 PM
That's right, but can't you define a not-so-special copy under the PSD/Special Copy directory?

E.g. create a file named notspecial.copy:
;PL/SQL Developer SpecialCopy definition
;<LINE_1> for first line
;<LINE_*> for all other lines
;<LINE_N> for last line
;

<line_1>
<line_*>
<line_n>

(I tested it, and had to restart PSD 7 to be able to define a keyboard shortcut.)
Posted By: jking Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 06/11/13 01:51 PM
Great, I never even thought of customizing that. I will give it a try. smile

Ver 10.0.4 is required b/c "Special Copy" were not available to assign shortcuts in previous versions of PSD 10.

Update: I was able to implement this work-around but there are some issues:
1) It does not work when copying data from a Grid (special-copy does not seem to be available)
2) It always appends a CR/LF when copying text from a single line (after pasting, cursor is put on next line instead of at the end of the pasted text).

Unfortunately these 2 issues are forcing me to revert to the default Copy and I'll have to live with the delay for now. frown

Thanks.
Posted By: HerrryJ-Wong Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 07/18/13 09:14 AM
Any one found out solution?
Posted By: T-Gergely Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 07/19/13 08:47 AM
Alas, I can't help with those issues.
I looked up plugindoc.pdf (for version 7), but that won't help, as IDE_GetSelectedText() has issue #1, too.
Posted By: Brun Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 07/23/13 05:48 AM
I am also experiencing this very frustrating issue i thought it was just my system, i also noted that closing outlook solves problem but this is not an option.

Windows 7
Outlook 2010
PLSQL Developer 9.0.6.1665

Please fix!
Posted By: Nis Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 07/23/13 07:42 AM
Hi,

here we are 40 developer with the same frustrating behavior.

Windows 7
Outlook 2010
PLSQL Developer 9.0.6.1665

Closing Outlook is not an option for us.
Please fix this bug asap.

Thx
Posted By: Marc Bisping Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 08/19/13 10:17 AM
...any solution for this problem?

Windows 7
Outlook 2010 / Office 2010
PLSQL Developer 9.0.6.1665 - 30 user license
Posted By: Marc Bisping Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 09/12/13 01:33 PM
Hi there,

any new ideas?
Posted By: Worker Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 03/19/14 02:42 PM
I have the same problem using PL/SQL Developer 10.0.5.1710 on Windows 8.1 Pro.

However, the problem goes away when I close all Microsoft Office 2013 programs. The delay is there for Cut and Copy (not for Special Copy) but only when I have Word or Excel open.
Posted By: Cel Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 08/28/14 09:29 AM
Hi all, I have just unticked 'Include font style with Copy' under:

>Tools >Preferences >Fonts >Editor

and it has worked for me with the below. I do not have to close Outlook.

PL/SQL Developer
Version 10.0.5.1710
01.92698 - 1 user license
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7601 (Service Pack 1)

Outlook 10 from MS Office Professional Plus 2010
Version: 14.0.7116.5000 (32-bit)

Posted By: Paulo Santos Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 08/29/14 09:05 AM
Hi Cel,
Can you confirm that changing that preference makes it as fast as when you don't have Outlook open?

I still have a delay after changing that preference, and I have no delay at all when closing Outlook.

Thanks
Posted By: IvanZ Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/08/15 04:49 AM
Seems to be fixed in 11b1 (fingers crossed)
Posted By: Worker Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 09/11/15 09:14 PM
I still have this problem in 11.0.4, and some more info that I can add on.

• The delay is there when I have Excel 2013 open, and not when it's closed. (I haven't tested other Office programs recently.)
  • The delay is there regardless of the Office Clipboard settings.
  • The delay is there regardless of the PL/SQL Developer setting of "include font style with copy".
  • The delay is there when I Cut or Copy text.
  • The delay is not there when I use Special Copy.
  • The delay is there when I cut/copy from PL/SQL Developer, and not from any other program.
  • The delay is there regardless of how the cut/copy is done (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Insert, menu option, pop-up menu option, or macro key "copy selection to clipboard").
  • The delay is there regardless of whether the selection is normal or column-mode.
  • The delay is there in editor windows, including the Text tab of the Large Data Editor.
  • The delay is not there in the RTF tab of the Large Data Editor.
  • The delay is not there in the SQL Results grid.

Given the above, my assumption was that whatever PL/SQL Developer puts on the clipboard is causing Excel to hang a bit before PL/SQL Developer gets control back from CopyToClipboard or whatever. (This assumes clipboard-event-notification is synchronous, which may already be a bad assumption.) So I used a clipboard viewer tool (CLCL) to watch what happens.
Unfortunately there is nothing out of the ordinary there, except that for non-column-selection PLD adds "Borland IDE Block Type=3". However since the delay is also there when "Borland IDE Block Type=2", I don't think this is the cause. CLCL even let me store the complete clipboard contents and put them back on the clipboard later, and when I did this with delay-inducing contents, there was no delay when CLCL did it.

So if it's not about the clipboard contents, the only thing left for me to blame is the PLD editor component. I would guess that when it's asked to cut/copy, it does CopyToClipboard (or whatever) and then does something extra afterward that nobody else (including the Large Data Editor RTF tab) does. Maybe it reads the clipboard contents back to make double-sure the cut/copy worked? I don't know. I wish I could just poke through the source code smile
Posted By: Worker Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 09/14/15 07:19 PM
And because I just can't leave well enough alone:

I hacked together my own clipboard monitor (and get to add C# to my resume now!) and noticed something odd. Whenever there is no delay, such as when using Special Copy or copying from another program, only a single WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD message is sent. However when pressing Ctrl+C in an editor window, four WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD messages are sent, as if SetClipboardData is called four times.

Perhaps that's worth looking into?

Additionally, reading the clipboard (in response to the first WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD) while PLD continues writing to the clipboard causes a lot of concurrency/locking issues, including the occasional "unable to open clipboard" error inside PLD. I know that others have complained about this error, so it would be nice if it has the same root cause as the delay problem.
Posted By: Albert Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/11/16 09:25 AM
Up
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/11/16 10:17 AM
Perhaps you can try the 64 bit version to check if this has been improved?
Posted By: Worker Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/11/16 03:21 PM
I didn't realize this was on the list of fixes for the 64bit version!

I downloaded the 64bit version (1788) and the problems seem to have been fixed. The delay has been greatly reduced if not completely eliminated. I'm also no longer seeing extra WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD messages. Running side-by-side with the 32bit version (1774), the 64bit version is much better.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will stay this way. Thank you for addressing this!
Posted By: Albert Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/12/16 03:18 PM
It's fine. However

"The Plug-Ins provided on our web site are all 32 bit and can therefore only be used with the 32 bit version of PL/SQL Developer. The 64 bit package includes a 64 bit version of the standard Plug-Ins, and 64 bit versions of other Plug-Ins will be provided in the future."

Can we expect such fixes in the 32-bit version?
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/13/16 01:14 PM
The 64 bit version is created with a newer version of our development tools. This newer development tool version probably implicitly fixed the issue.

We will continue to create future 32 bit 11.0.x patch versions with the previous development tool version. For version 12.0 we will switch to the new development tool version for both the 32 bit and 64 bit version.

We can of course generate a 32 bit version with newer development version, but it is of course not as thoroughly tested as the current 64 bit and 32 bit versions. It may fix the clipboard issue. Let me know if you are interested.
Posted By: Albert Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/18/16 07:17 AM
>Let me know if you are interested.
Yes, of course, Marco. It will be interesting
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Copying to Clipboard pause - 01/18/16 09:52 AM
Okay. If you send an e-mail to support@allroundautomations.com and refer to this forum topic, we'll arrange it.
© Allround Automations forums