Posted By: Klaus Edelmann Unicode and not - 08/22/06 08:13 PM
Hello!

We are buliding an application which works on laptops with Oracle databases installed to it. Our customer now is active also in Slovakia and needs some laptops with unicode support. So there will be some notebooks having installed 10g with unicode support. On all other notebooks will remain Oracle 9 without unicode.
(The goal is to have just one application version with "best" behaviour, not "optimal".)
Setting Oracelsession...UTFConversion to cuUTF8ToUTF16 unicode characters (with Unicode DB) will be shown correctly in the application. Strings are returned from unicode Db in Widestring-Fields. Oracle 9 returns even with this setting string fields.
Is there a way to hold result field types the same (with and without unicode)? Since I have persistant fields in the app. the change of fieldtypes is a big problem.

Regards, Klaus Edelmann
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode and not - 08/22/06 09:54 PM
This is currently not possible in 4.1, but we'll add a preference property for this at the TOracleSession level in the final 4.1 release (and the next beta).

Alternatively you can set UTFConversion to cuUTF16ToUTF8 right now, but this may not work well when data-aware UTF-controls require widestrings.
Posted By: Klaus Edelmann Re: Unicode and not - 08/23/06 12:22 PM
Hallo Marco!

Thanks for your reply! Do you know now when this next beta will be released?
Is there a scheduled date for the 4.1 final?

Regard, Klaus Edelmann
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode and not - 08/23/06 09:43 PM
If you let me know your Delphi version, I will upload this enhanced version when it is implemented.

We had planned the final 4.1 release for the end of this month.
Posted By: Klaus Edelmann Re: Unicode and not - 08/24/06 04:25 PM
Hello again, Marco!

*This* is a really demand-oriented offer. Thx for it! I'm still working with Delphi 7 (for this certain project).
Anyway, "end of this month" is not too far.

Regards, Klaus
Posted By: phoenix610 Re: Unicode and not - 08/27/06 07:04 PM
pls include this fixes with final 4.1 release.

I've been waiting for so long time frown

http://www.allroundautomations.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002303#000000
Posted By: Michael Ellermann Re: Unicode and not - 09/04/06 04:28 PM
Hello Marco, we have about the same Problem, our Environment is Dephi5 Enterprise, TNT Unicode Edits, DOA 4.0.6, Oracle 10g R1 AL32UTF8, Client Oracle 10g , nls_lang set to GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8MSWIN1252.
German text is saved correctly, Russin Text (kyrillic) is displayed correct, but saved as ?????????.
What is wrong, is this a setting problem or a doa problem?
Beste regards Michael

PS: if i save kyrillic text with Enterprise Manager, it works fine !! so Database seems to be Okay.
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode and not - 09/05/06 11:07 PM
You are using 4.0.6? Unicode support requires 4.1 (which is in beta now).
Posted By: Michael Ellermann Re: Unicode and not - 09/06/06 02:01 PM
Hi Marco, do you have a schedule date for 4.1.

If helpfull I
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode and not - 09/06/06 10:06 PM
Version 4.1 will be available this month. There is a public beta for those who have a current service contract (which entitles you to 4.1).
Posted By: Michael Ellermann Re: Unicode and not - 09/07/06 06:37 PM
Just tell me how to get a service contract, i need the unicode funcionality urgent !!

Thx
Michael
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode and not - 09/07/06 07:39 PM
You can order it here .
Posted By: Michael Ellermann Re: Unicode and not - 09/11/06 12:42 PM
Hi Marco,

in order to get version 4.1 do I have to order the complete new Version incl. Support Contract, or do i only have to order a support contract ?

We are currently usin version 4.06.

thx
Michael
Posted By: Michael Ellermann Re: Unicode and not - 09/12/06 01:10 PM
Hi Marco,

we just bought the support Contract. How do i get the 4.1 beta Version now ??

Regards Michael
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode and not - 09/12/06 09:41 PM
You can download it here .
Posted By: Michael Ellermann Re: Unicode and not - 09/21/06 12:46 PM
Hi Marco,

we tested V 4.1, no Problems so far, but still we can not write Russian Language to the Database. The Database is set to AL32UTF8, the Client is set to GERMAN_GERMANY.AL32UTF8, we are using Delphi 5 Ent., the Edits are from TNT (Kyrillic is displayed correct), but as soon as we write to Database we get junk. Any Idea what is going wrong ?
Best regards Michael

PS if i write directly with Oracle Enterprise Manager, kyrillic is saved correctly ! so i dont think it is a database problem... confused
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode and not - 09/21/06 08:21 PM
We'll look into this.
Posted By: Michael Ellermann Re: Unicode and not - 09/28/06 08:27 PM
Hi Marco,

any news about my problem yet. My customer is placing a deadline on the project, so this is getting urgent. Hope i hear soon from you, best regards Michael
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode and not - 09/29/06 05:46 PM
Sorry for the lack of feedback, but we have probably resolved this issue. I will upload a fixed Delphi 5 version later today and will notify you.
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode and not - 09/29/06 06:15 PM
Please try this Delphi 5 beta version .
Posted By: Michael Ellermann Re: Unicode and not - 10/02/06 04:19 PM
Hi Marco,

just checked B3, but still not working. This is what i get if i try to save the data:

????????????????????????????????????????\?????\

Display in TNT Controls is Ok, saving in the database via Enterprise Manager OK but saving with DOA is bad result.

I tried to send you a testing project via eMail, but we are blocked as spam from your server !!

Please have a look on the problem, it is getting serious.

Best regards
Michael
Posted By: Marco Kalter Re: Unicode and not - 10/02/06 09:50 PM
Can you try our PL/SQL Developer 7.0.3 to update this table? This way we know if this is an application issue.

I have also added you to the white list of our spam filter, so feel free to e-mail your test project again. Please also include the table creation DDL.
Posted By: Bernhard Geyer Re: Unicode and not - 10/13/06 11:21 AM
You don't need to wait for V4.1.

Set NLS_LANG to AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8 (and be aware that the database can also save it as UTF8) and code/decode all Data to UTF-8 in you DB-Layer.

If you use DB-Sensitive Controls like ElPack or TNTWare you have to set them to UTF8-Mode.
© Allround Automations forums