Print Thread
Migrating PSD from old laptop (XP) to new laptop (Win7)
#38202 06/09/10 07:29 PM
Cedar Hills, UT
bcoulam Offline OP
OP Offline
Cedar Hills, UT
I've done this enough for others in the past, it's embarrassing I have to ask.

Marco, I'm have a difficult time installing PSD on my new laptop and bringing over all the preferences and custom setup from my old laptop. I've tried 5 times tweaking my approach each time.

The first time worked the best (new install of 8.0.3, then pasted the Preferences folder from the old laptop over the top of the Preferences folder on the new laptop). When I started PSD on that first effort, my preferences and logons were all there. But after I shut it down and started it up again, all the preferences were gone, replaced by the defaults. I've uninstalled completely several times and tried other approaches as well. Each time since then my copied preferences are ignored and PSD starts up with the defaults.

What is the trick on Windows 7? Do I need to export/import some registry hive? Copy the .elf? Some other trick I'm not remembering regarding Win7 and security?

Help appreciated.

bc

Re: Migrating PSD from old laptop (XP) to new laptop (Win7)
bcoulam #38204 06/09/10 09:07 PM
Cedar Hills, UT
bcoulam Offline OP
OP Offline
Cedar Hills, UT
I'm not sure if copying the aalf.dat or plsqldev.elf was necessary or not, but I seem to have finally figured it out. Although the install of 8.0.3 on Win 7 looks the same, it is not the same as XP. The install creates a Preferences folder in the install folder, but that turned out to be the wrong place to copy my preferences. In Win 7, there is a separate folder for prefs created under C:\Users\<myuserid>\AppData\Roaming\PLSQL Developer\Preferences\<myuserid>. When I copied my user's preferences (user.prefs and default.ini) to there, PSD 8 now looks and behaves like it did on my old laptop.

Re: Migrating PSD from old laptop (XP) to new laptop (Win7)
bcoulam #38210 06/10/10 10:03 AM
That's right. On Windows 7 (and Vista) all modifiable files are moved to the AppData directory.

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard