Print Thread
Enhance Request: Keyboard shortcuts for Change Window
#37841 04/15/10 04:30 PM
Cedar Hills, UT
bcoulam Offline OP
OP Offline
Cedar Hills, UT
Marco,

At my last place of employment, I was able to save all scripts with file extensions that matched the content of the script.

At my current employer, they use maven, ant, custom java and Cruise Control to form an automated continuous build tool. As built, this tool requires that all DB scripts end in ".sql". So scores of times each day, I'm opening .sql scripts, then right-clicking and picking Change Window to | Program Window or Command Window.

I love keyboard shortcuts. Much more efficient than mousing and clicking. Unlike almost everything else in PSD, I'm unable to map a keyboard shortcut to this operation. I'm ashamed I didn't request this enhancement years ago when I first noticed the lack.

Could you please add the Change Window feature to the Main Menu's Window menu item? That should put it in the realm of the operations that Tools | Preferences | Key Configuration allows one to map keys to.

Thanks!

Re: Enhance Request: Keyboard shortcuts for Change Window
bcoulam #37849 04/16/10 10:15 AM
That should be doable too, and I have added this to the list of enhancement requests as well.

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations
Marco Kalter #49723 10/28/14 04:54 PM
Cedar Hills, UT
bcoulam Offline OP
OP Offline
Cedar Hills, UT
Marco,

Can I beg of you to bump this enhancement request to ensure it gets into version 11? It really shouldn't be that time consuming to ensure the "Change Window to" options can be key-configurable like almost everything else in PSD. It's been far too long and the problem is still there.

I've recently had a few new developers added to my team and they've been bitten by trying to compile packages, saved in .sql scripts, in the SQL window, which hides the compile time errors, which sent errors into our build. Luckily we caught them before a botched production rollout. I had to explain about changing the window to a program window when compiling triggers and packages, but had to hang my head in shame when admitting that it couldn't be hot-keyed.

I'm guessing that part of the problem is because it is available under the right-click menu but not the main File menu or Window menu. If "Change Window to" could be added in either of those spots, then I'm betting it would then be key-configurable.

Last edited by bcoulam; 10/28/14 04:56 PM.
bcoulam #49724 10/28/14 06:59 PM
Utah
Utah
I would also find this beneficial. While a SQL window is sufficient for most of the development that I do on a day-to-day basis, I make the switch back and forth between SQL and command frequently enough that this would be appreciated.

Chris Hepworth
chepworth #49726 10/29/14 01:53 PM
Budapest
B
B
Budapest
Try to add "sql" to "Others" in Preferences/Files/Extensions.

Bert Gombos
Bert Gombos #49728 10/30/14 11:20 AM
Krakow, Poland
Krakow, Poland
If you are referring to section "Program Files", then it will either change nothing (as "sql" file extension is also specified for other file types) or force PL/SQL Developer to open each and every "sql" file in a Program Window, which is not something you'd want to do (you'd have to change window type for all the "sql" files that are NOT a program code but a simple SQL script).

Hilarion #49759 11/05/14 02:48 PM
Virginia, USA
Virginia, USA
Until such time as PLSD is enhanced for this, may I suggest AutoHotKey? You can even create a simple GUI with buttons to click if you wish.

Scott Mattes

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard