Unable to evaluate DOA, please help.
#6509 07/01/04 06:18 PM
Tulsa Cash Register
K
Karl Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Tulsa Cash Register
Whenever I try to test a Delphi plug-in (.BPL) designed to be loaded and called from Retail Pro (a cash register software system), either the plug-in hangs when the LogOn procedure is called, or I get an exception stating that "Evaluation version needs Delphi" (which is running and had just compiled the plug-in being tested.

Note that the hang on open problem always happens when using BDE/ODbC, and randomly happens when using dOCI (Russian code similar to DOA). Retail Pro claims that the BDE/ODbC version of this problem is a permanent fatal problem with Delphi 5 BDE that is unique to accessing Oracle ODbC client from within a .BPL package, and that Borland did not fix it when it was first discovered and will not ever fix it since they have since moved on to newer versions of Delphi.

Environment:
- Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition
- Oracle 9i Release 9.2.0.3.0 Production
- No clue as to the version of the Oracle Net client
- (some help as to how to find that information?)
- Retail Pro 8.51.400.064 GA

Development software:
- Delphi Version 5 Professional Edition
- Direct Oracle Access 4.0.5 For Delphi, Evaluation

Karl
Re: Unable to evaluate DOA, please help.
#6510 07/01/04 08:22 PM
Using different database access components from a single application (host + dll's) is tricky. You must make sure that all components use the same Oracle Net version, which might not be the case if you have multiple Oracle Homes.

I'm not sure how the evaluation message could occur though. Is this reproducible after a reboot?

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations
#6511 07/01/04 10:28 PM
Tulsa Cash Register
K
Karl Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Tulsa Cash Register
The Retail Pro program uses some form of the Borland internal database (Interbase) and does not use the Oracle server or client.

Just rebooted and established the following environment:
- Started up Windows Explorer and returned to the project subdirectory.
- Started up Delphi and reopened the project group and project.
- Started up SQL*Plus and logged into the database (to monitor activity and check stuff)
- Set the LineSize and PageSize on SQL*Plus. (Does anyone know how to make it remember these or how to specify an initial script to execute at startup?)
- Started up Retail Pro and triggered my plug-in.

Same "Evaluation version needs Delphi" error.

Karl
#6512 07/02/04 07:44 PM
Does the problem also occur when running one of the demos?

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations
#6513 07/06/04 02:38 PM
Tulsa Cash Register
K
Karl Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Tulsa Cash Register
I have circumvented the "Evaluation version needs Delphi" error.

However, the intermittent hang problem is still present. SQL*Plus always connects just fine, but Oracle Explorer occasionally will hang (and the Delphi 5 IDE with it) as soon as you supply the Server/Username/Password. Anything else that tries to access Oracle (through OCI?) except SQL*Plus will also hang. Rebooting does not help. Only patience and time seems to make a difference. This *BUG* literally hangs me for days at a time, and then mysteriously goes away for a day or two. Debugging has narrowed it down to the call to OCI for opening the session. Why does SQL*Plus never have this problem, but all other packages and programs, all features of yours included, have it?

P.S. The Oracle Net client version I am using is 9.2.

Karl
#6514 07/06/04 10:29 PM
Do you mean that all other Oracle related tools (not only Direct Oracle Access related applications) will occasionally hang, and only SQL*Plus will work correctly?

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations
#6515 07/06/04 10:50 PM
Tulsa Cash Register
K
Karl Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Tulsa Cash Register
Yes!

Karl
#6516 07/08/04 12:31 AM
Tulsa Cash Register
K
Karl Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Tulsa Cash Register
I could not figure out how to attach a client trace of "Delphi / Oracle / Explorer..." hanging to this message board. Please see entensive e-mails sent to Support@AllRoundAutomations.Com with salutation of Marco Kalter detailing this problem.

Karl

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard