Multiple SQLNET installation problems
#4803 04/04/03 09:17 PM
Irvine, California USA
K
OP Offline
K
Irvine, California USA
Hello,

We write software for educational sites that many times have multiple oracle systems, various versions of SQLNet and a LOT of different Oracle homes, etc.

Most of our sites have registry entries that point to various paths on other remote machines for the SQLNet drivers, etc., and over time their registry entries are really messed up. They seem to work ok for various other apps and most times DOA functions fine as well in spite of a myriad of various SQLNet installations, etc. However, some we just can't get to work. When we correct the entries that DOA requires we sometimes break other applications ability to connect and function.

I guess this is a question to the developer of DOA or others that may know more than myself about this --

Question 1: Is there a way for DOA to look at several environment variables to determine the proper TNSNAMES.ORA and ORACLE_HOME/BIN directory?

Question 2: And if these two or three environment variables exist will DOA use them instead of the registry entries?

This would give us a way of getting around our clients lousy registry entries for the sites that I am referring to. Just as a point of reference, we have about 500 universities in the US, Canada and Asia using our software with DOA so we have seen just about every possible horrible registry entry there is! [Linked Image] We really like DOA and it has given us great results! It is just about 1 in 20 of our sites that seem to always have trouble (mostly of their own doing) because of their registries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My developers may have missed something in the documentation about using environment variables or something of that nature so I apologize if I am asking stupid questions here!

Respectfully,

------------------
Kevin Jones
Evisions, Inc.
kjones@evisions.com

Kevin Jones
Evisions, Inc.
kjones@evisions.com
Re: Multiple SQLNET installation problems
#4804 04/07/03 10:23 PM
Direct Oracle Access will use the tnsnames.ora from the Oracle Home that it uses (this is the only one that makes sense of course). By default it will use the Primary Oracle Home. This is the one that has its BIN directory listed first in the PATH environment variable.

In other words: the Primary Oracle Home must be set correctly. You can use the Oracle Home Selector for this, which is a standard Oracle utility.

------------------
Marco Kalter
Allround Automations

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard