Print Thread
Connecting to a database through the internet. How to?
#1241 11/09/00 04:27 AM
Montreal, Canada
J
OP Offline
J
Montreal, Canada
I have started the evaluation of DOA components about 10 days ago. Everything looks fine so far when I connect to a database on the local network. Now, how could I start a session to a database accessible through the internet? Is it necessary to use an ASTA server or something else? If yes, what the alternatives? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I love the built-in 'ease-of-use' of your components.

Jean-Paul

Re: Connecting to a database through the internet. How to?
#1242 11/12/00 05:34 PM
Oyten,Germany
S
S
Oyten,Germany
Not a great think. The listener "hears" at port 1521 or 1526 (or what ever you configure). Just connect to this ports.
I made this between Berlin/Frankfurt/Bremen.

There is no difference between local net and Internet.

So, no Problem (as long the line is stable)

But be aware, that a windows system should be really locked up (See Microsoft checklist for Webserver)

Greetings
Sven

Greetings,
Sven
#1243 11/13/00 08:18 PM
Lake Forest, CA 92630
G
G
Lake Forest, CA 92630
Connect over TCP/IP should not be a problem except for performance issues. However, all the clients need to do a Oracle client install. I'm in the process of making our DOA application use ASTA/DOA as an option to allow web-based installs and hopefully improve performance over a WAN. I would like to hear from anyone else doing this. My main concerns are not technical but licensing issues. Has anyone else dealt with Oracle regarding licenses as they moved from C/S to n-tier?

#1244 11/13/00 10:41 PM
Montreal, Canada
J
OP Offline
J
Montreal, Canada
Where should I put the IP adress, the port number and the name of the database? In the logonDatabase property of the TOracleSession? If so, could you show me an example syntax supposing the IP adress is 192.168.0.1 ( on a LAN to begin with), the port number is 1521 and the name of the database is MYDATABASE? These are real beginner's questions, but your help (and time) is greatly appreciated.

Jean-Paul

[quote]Originally posted by Greg Stevenson:
Connect over TCP/IP should not be a problem except for performance issues. However, all the clients need to do a Oracle client install. I'm in the process of making our DOA application use ASTA/DOA as an option to allow web-based installs and hopefully improve performance over a WAN. I would like to hear from anyone else doing this. My main concerns are not technical but licensing issues. Has anyone else dealt with Oracle regarding licenses as they moved from C/S to n-tier?[/quote]

#1245 11/14/00 06:21 PM
Germany
K
K
Germany
The easiest way to do is to use the Net8-Assistant tool delivered with Oracle to make an database-alias to the server connected via internet. There you specify the IP-address of your server. In the logon of your TOracleSession you set the Property "LogonDatabase" to the alias specified in Net8-assistant.

Oliver Kaesmann
#1246 11/14/00 10:08 PM
Montreal, Canada
J
OP Offline
J
Montreal, Canada
Thank you Oliver,

It could not be easier, it could not work better, and it could not be better explained. Thanks again.

By the way, I am an immunologist by (primary) training, and I wonder what you're doing in Bio-informatics. If you wish so, you can e-mail your comments.

Jean-Paul

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard