TNS: Resolving service name on XP x64
#7876 10/17/05 11:39 AM
Tulsa, OK
S
Stephen Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Tulsa, OK
I've installed C++ Builder 6.0 Enterprise Edition on my new computer using Windows XP Pro x64. The default directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\CBuilder6.

When I install Direct Oracle Access (4.07) and then try to use the Package Wizard, I get "TNS: Could not resolve service name" everytime I try to connect to the database.

I also have PL/SQL Developer and read in the forums where if I override the default directory (C:\Program FIles (x86)\....) to just "C:\Program Files\..." it would work. I uninstalled PL/SQL Developer and then reinstalled using "C:\Program Files\..." and it worked like a champ.

I figured my DOA issue is the same as what was happening with PL/SQL Developer.

I tried this approach by uninstalling C++ Builder and then reinstalling using the "C:\Program Files\" as the root in all the available directories. Good idea... too bad it didn't work. Builder still installed portions of itself in the x86 folder as well as just C:\Program Files. Hmmm.... Ok, so I uninstalled and cleaned up the registry and any files that I could find thinking I had possibly missed something in the initial uninstall. Install attempt #3 - same results with a partial install still in the x86 folder.

I've tried redefining the $(BCB) variable in C++ Builder to "C:\PROGRA~2\Borland\CBUILD~1" and installing DOA, no luck.

I've also tried substituting the value "C:\PROGRA~2\Borland\CBUILD~1" into the $(BCB) variable in the install for DOA as well and no luck.

I'm out of things to try :-( Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,
Stephen

Re: TNS: Resolving service name on XP x64
#7877 10/17/05 09:44 PM
The problem is that you have installed C++Builder under C:\Program Files (x86). Oracle Net cannot connect from a directory with parentheses. If you uninstall C++Builder and reinstall in a directory without parentheses, the problem will be solved.

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations
#7878 10/17/05 10:55 PM
Tulsa, OK
S
Stephen Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Tulsa, OK
I tried that.... Builder will partially install in the C:\Program Files\... as well as C:\Program Files (x86)\....

[QUOTE]
I tried this approach by uninstalling C++ Builder and then reinstalling using the "C:\Program Files\" as the root in all the available directories. Good idea... too bad it didn't work. Builder still installed portions of itself in the x86 folder as well as just C:\Program Files. Hmmm.... Ok, so I uninstalled and cleaned up the registry and any files that I could find thinking I had possibly missed something in the initial uninstall. Install attempt #3 - same results with a partial install still in the x86 folder.

it doesn't work. Am I missing something on the uninstall of C++ Builder that will let me do a completely "clean" install? Meaning there is something residual from my inital install that puts it in the x86 folder?

#7879 10/18/05 11:13 AM
Russia
O
O
Russia
Can your try compile programm to another folder, without parentesis? And run from there.

#7880 10/18/05 08:11 PM
Tulsa, OK
S
Stephen Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Tulsa, OK
I'm trying to get the Package Wizard to work. There's no program to compile atm, it just will not resolve the host name when I attempt to attach to the database.

#7881 10/18/05 09:59 PM
I don't have any immediate solutions, but you can use this trick to create a standalone Package Wizard.

Marco Kalter
Allround Automations

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard