Print Thread
Antiquated UI, Tutorials Please
#58433 10/11/18 03:12 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Can someone point me to a useful showing a simple walk-through of this application? This program is not intuitive from me possibly based on expectations created by use of Toad and SQL Developer. Please direct me to one.

From the beginning of my dealing with this software that my employer has a contract to use, I have been slowed down by an antiquated UI.

Even this forum and Bulletin Board is outdated.
1. During my UBB sign up, even though my password is masked (yey) it is not secured by an SSL certificate over HTTPS. To make matters worse, the UBB sent my password, that I entered twice, back to me, in an EMAIL!!! AllAroundSoftware is trying to do this 'all around' thing with my password. I do not need the password I entered twice to be sent in an email 'for my records'. I know what it is. If I forget it, there is a 'forgot password' link on the site!
2. This same email has a link to log in. This is good except that the link precedes the link to the actual email verification that is necessary BEFORE logging in. Remember to do step 6 before step 4.

Lets talk about PL/SQL, version 12, how can I log into a database and execute queries? I made a connections export for my fellow team members to import. They imported the connections but do not know what to do with them. This app is such a blank slate. We use Toad and SQL developer and compared to those products, this one is not usable. How do we execute a statement? Why are tables listed half way down a non-alphabetized list? Does a project need to be created when all that is necessary is a SQL worksheet? If I double click on a connection, why do I still have to log in and where is the window to do stuff in? Is a connection related to a project? How is a project defined when I am doing random DB maintenance all day and not necessarily focused on a typical project (however that is defined?)

Thank you, whoever reads this, for a sincere and helpful response. Please direct me to where I may find useful, 'up and running' info with PL/SQL Developer so I can enjoy using this app and share my findings with my team.

I can see being told to RTFM, but seriously, I expect to find stuff like, "This is a SQL Window. A SQL command can be typed into the Text Area. Log In to a connection using the Login Icon in the ribbon. The Ribbon is useful." If you tell me to RTFM, tell me which one (preferably with a link) and what is actually useful to get going with.

Re: Antiquated UI, Tutorials Please
Thomas Jahn #58434 10/11/18 04:38 PM
Portland, OR, USA
M
M
Portland, OR, USA
The user's manual is under "Help / User's Guide".

It is different than TOAD. When I started, I read the user's guide and then I was good to go. Big differences that I had to keep in mind is that there are different types of editor windows instead of one in TOAD and the shortcut keys are defaulted differently.

I don't know what's going on with your password.

mike #58435 10/11/18 04:53 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Ok, Ill take your word for it and try it out. Thank you Mike.

Thomas Jahn #58438 10/12/18 02:54 AM
Russia
Russia
It's funny, for I started to deal with Oracle with PL/SQL Developer from the start, and now all newer fancy apps/interfaces appear clumsy and unusable to me.

[quote]Why are tables listed half way down a non-alphabetized list? [/quote]
This is (reordering of object browser folders) indeed is the first thing to do.

Locating just few menu commands ('Log on', 'New SQL Window' 'Execute' and 'Commit') should be enough for the start.

Procedures/functions are usually run from context menu item 'Test'

Probably 'Allow multiple connections' will be the first item for you to check.
For example, I chose not to use multiple connections (unchecked tick).
Then:
Every SQL Window is a distinct session in my setup.
All windows are connected to under the same credentials to the same DB (indicated in the application title).
We run multiple instances of app when in need to connect to many DBs and/or schemas.

Forget about projects for a moment.

HTH,
Max

Best regards,
Maxim
Thomas Jahn #58439 10/12/18 02:54 AM
Russia
Russia

Last edited by Maxmix; 10/12/18 02:56 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

Best regards,
Maxim
Maxmix #58446 10/15/18 01:09 AM
Wellington, NZ
Wellington, NZ
I always nest object types too ...
Code
tables
views
sequences
synonyms
code (green) - functions, procedures, packages, package bodies, types, type bodies, triggers
user (red) - directories, db links, jobs, dbms_jobs
database (blue) - users, profiles, roles, tablespaces
other (all sorts under here)
recycle bin
always turn off SDI also.

... suck in your lips and frown like a werewolf ...
rbrooker #59988 05/05/19 09:20 AM
A
A
I have used all 3 of these products and PL/SQL Developer is the simplest and cleanest of the bunch to use. I can see where the UI could use a bit of freshening (themes, macro improvements, etc.) as mentioned in other threads but even so, I need it to stay consistent with its heritage. I can also see some merit to making its suite of capabilities a (paid) add-in to VS Code.

Gloss is worthless, and wizards only help hobbits.

My 2 cents worth...

Last edited by Allen Marshall; 05/05/19 09:22 AM.
Thomas Jahn #62220 11/26/20 11:10 PM
London, UK
London, UK
Just came across this post (two years too late). I do hope that your issues are resolved. Normally I have the opposite problem, that either Toad is already licensed (at around six times the cost, for in my view a vastly inferior product), or else the powers that be have noticed that a free alternative is available, and since database developers are less important than C# or Java developers, some money can be saved by taking away our best-of-breed development software and letting us make do with SQL Developer, a portability-focussed Java app with blocky fonts and reduced functionality despite a slightly less broken formatter.

Regarding They imported the connections but do not know what to do with them, you connect by double-clicking on an item in the "Connections" tab.

You execute queries by opening an SQL window, entering a query and pressing the "execute" button.

Moderated by  support 

Link Copied to Clipboard